As outlined throughout our site, Electric Blue’s work is focussed on promoting the uptake of electric taxis by taxi firms and self-employed drivers, in order to reduce air and noise pollutants being released into our communities.
We recognise that in order to reach this positive change, the process needs to be accessible and straightforward, with clear justifications for such changes - particularly when there are costs involved. We also know that a significant cause for hesitation is a fear around how long the battery of an electric vehicle (EV) will last - this is known as ‘range-anxiety’.
EV technology has largely overcome early challenges so implementing these new, emission free technologies now offers a highly visible, economical and sustainable solution. Electric Blue has developed EVolve technology to provide you with transparent reasoning, enabling your decision to ‘go electric’ and join the rEVolution!
How it works
Telematic devices are installed in taxis and record accurate GPS positioning (within two metres). Data from these devices is processed, and individual vehicle reports are produced for secure publication to a web portal for drivers, operators and the Local Authority licensing team. Here, each stakeholder can access and view their own datasets and personalised journey maps. The reports show vehicle usage data over the period monitored, alongside a comparative analysis as to the feasibility of doing the same journeys in an e-Taxi.
- Mileage driven and time vehicle was turned on.
- Routes driven.
- Location(s) and times of vehicle idling.
- Location(s) and times when vehicle is turned off.
- Emissions created - Carbon and NOx (nitrogen oxides).
This data analysis takes place for multiple sample vehicles. When extrapolated over the whole Local Authority taxi fleet, the analysis provides recommendations of the best locations for suitable charging solutions to support the e-Taxi conversion.
Reports are produced for drivers, operators and Local Authorities (including, but not limited to: Taxi Licensing, Air Quality Managers, Environmental Health departments.)
The driver will receive a one page report with a map, collated data and a summary of feasibility, and the projected economic savings. The savings are based on a direct comparison of their real journeys if they had driven an e-Taxi. By using database statistics, including accurate costs of fuel, we are able to show the saving potential afforded by changing to an e-Taxi. These savings can be considerable for high mileage taxis.
As well as the savings associated with day to day running costs, there are the additional economic benefits of using electric vehicles. These include:
- Discounted Taxi Licensing fees - the rEVolution is still in its infancy so local authorities, the UK government and EU policies are enabling substantial discounts to make use of such technological advancements.
- Savings on maintenance and servicing - this is due to there being only a small number of moving parts within an electric vehicle, so wear and tear is minimal and protracted.
- And, obviously, positive environmental impacts! With a reduction in emissions of carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides, driving an e-Taxi can bring an overall improvement to air quality, which directly affects you.
The database we use for vehicle comparison also allows us to show vehicle emissions that could have been avoided if the analysed journeys had been completed in an e-Taxi.
The Local Authority report contains the same sets of data as the driver report, plus an additional “heat-mapping” to indicate particular routes and the usage patterns associated with them. Our consultation also provides recommendations for the number and type of chargers and where they should be located
- The EVolve fleet analysis proves the feasibility of using an EV and provides you with a bespoke business case for converting your fleet or vehicle to electric.
- It gives you detailed information on pollution, journey trends and other factors influencing drivers to convert to EV.
- It helps you to plan a strategy that fully understands the impact it will have on your taxi community.
- The reported data and associated information can be used (where feasible) to help in securing government grants from DEFRA to continue the improvements in air quality. Real-life data and analysis of fleets can be used to backup applications for grants to apply for electrification.
- The reported data and analysis can be used (where feasible) to support your applications to DEFRA - government grants - for electrification.
- For the the taxi licensing team, EVolve makes planning and the locating of electric vehicle charging infrastructure easy and effective.