How it works
When the Local Authority chooses to operate an e-Taxi Demo scheme, Electric Blue provides your drivers with a fully licensed and insured electric taxi (e-Taxi)* to rent over a trial period. Rents are set at highly competitive rates and with flexible terms. The e-Taxi is fitted with vehicle telematics (eVolve service) to enable tracking and monitoring of driver usage patterns, which allow us to provide accurate real-world comparisons to the driver’s current vehicle. This comparative analysis articulates the benefits the taxi driver would gain by converting to electric.
The reliability of the charging infrastructure is imperative for any EV driver, even more so for a taxi driver as their income is dependent on time on the road. As such, your drivers will want to know that a charger is always going to be operational. Electric Blue provides and manages Rapid Charging points in appropriate locations. The eVolve tracking analysis provides recommendations for locations for these charges, based on a comprehensive, geographical understanding of the journey patterns your taxi drivers are making. Rapid chargers typically give an 80% charge in just 20 minutes, enough time for a cup of tea or some lunch so drivers can be assured that they money-earning time on the road is not lost.
*(rentable e-taxis can hold either Hackney or Private Hire licences.)
For many people, driving an EV is still an unknown concept, with taxi drivers being no exception. This means that most are unaware of how feasible it is to drive an EV and the plethora of benefits afforded from doing so.
The e-Taxi Demo scheme offers drivers a ‘try before you buy’ model; with the opportunity to step out of their current petrol or diesel vehicle and try a fully licenced e-taxi from Electric Blue to increase understanding, reduce anxieties and enable an informed decision to ‘go electric’. We use either the Nissan leaf (private hire) or the ADV Dynamo (Hackney) which are already being used as taxis in some areas.
For drivers taking part in the scheme, training is provided so they know how to operate the vehicle and the EV charge points, with Electric Blue remaining on hand to support and answer queries throughout the trial.
- Directly engage with drivers by offering fully licensed & insured rental taxis to demonstrate, educate and raise awareness of EV technology and accessibility.
- Obtain tangible evidence that Electric Vehicles (EVs) work as taxis and disprove misconceptions.
- Minimise drivers’ ‘range anxiety’ about e-Taxis.
- Prove e-Taxi performance – e-Taxis typically outperform their petrol/diesel counterparts.
- Demonstrate key benefits of the city/council ‘going electric’ to as many users as possible.
- Business is able to continue as usual with the ‘try before you buy’ concept.
- Reach a broad number of drivers, with the option of short and longer term trials.